One of the most important choices you’ll make while planning your event is your event venue. Selecting the perfect venue is critical to the success of every wedding, party, special event or corporate event. There are many facilities like hotels and banquet halls that include your venue and catering all in one. However, many of the most unique and interesting event spaces do not offer catering, like museums, parks, barns, or even your backyard. We’re going to focus on event locations that require an outside caterer to be brought in. After all, we are a caterer!
Here are some key things consider when selecting your venue:
- Budget. How much have you budgeted for venue rental and what locations are in that budget? Consider what is included in your venue rental so you can compare locations accurately. It’s not just about price, it’s about what you get for the price.
- Location. This is a pretty obvious point, but it’s still important. Where are your guests coming from and how convenient is your venue location? How much travel time should you allow if you are having a ceremony at another location? Should you considering providing transportation for your guests?
- Size. Make sure your event venue can accommodate everyone invited with the setup you have in mind. Ask your venue about capacity for reception style, buffet, or plated dinner, depending on your needs. Ask for a mock floorplan or tour to show you how the space might be set up. Don’t forget you may need additional room for dancing, DJ table, gift table, dessert table and other considerations. Consult with your event planner or caterer. They may have some input based on prior events at that location or similar venues.
- Style. Beyond the functionality of an event venue lies the style. The venue can really dictate the decor and vibe of your event. For example, if you want a modern decor for a wedding, you might not want to host it at a historic mansion. Or maybe you do, it might be an interesting contrast. But it should be considered.
- Season. Consider the time of year your event will take place. Certain venues may be a better fit for different times of the year. Consider what the surroundings will look like. Will the fall leaves be in color? Will spring flowers be in bloom? Will the lake be frozen for a unique vista? Consider the temperature. Will you need additional heating or cooling?
- Kitchen Facilities. Does your venue have a kitchen or will kitchen equipment need to be provided? If there is a kitchen on-site, check with your caterer and see if it is adequate. Kitchen rentals can add up quickly and get expensive. Elements has a Mobile Kitchen we can provide for a much more affordable price, but many caterers may require renting the equipment.
- Rentals. What does your venue include? A catered event might require china, flatware, tables, chairs, amongst other items. If your venue includes some of these items, it could cut down on your rental costs. This is definitely something to consider when budgeting. A location may be more expensive, but that might be offset by savings on your rentals.
If you need any advice or help selecting a venue, feel free to contact us at (203) 706-0995 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We have catered events a many locations in Connecticut, and may be able to help you select a venue that is perfect for your event.